Pepperoni contains preservatives that are dangerous for cats
Cured meat like pepperoni contains nitrates, which preserve food by preventing the growth of harmful bacteria.
However, nitrates can be poisonous to cats.
Nitrate poisoning is, in fact, common in other animals like dogs and horses.
Is it OK for cats to eat pizza?
Yeast is something that cats have a hard time digesting. While cooked bread and dough are considered to be harmless to your cat, raw yeast can kill a cat in a matter of hours. Most cats will not eat pizza dough uncooked or even cooked unless it’s loaded with butter and oil. Never leave pizza sitting out.
What foods will make a cat sick?
Here’s a look at some of the most toxic foods for cats.
- Onions and Garlic.
- Raw Eggs, Raw Meat & Bones.
- Chocolate and Caffeinated Drinks.
- Alcohol and Raw Dough.
- Milk and Dairy Products.
- Grapes and Raisins.
- Dog Food.
- Preventing Cats from Eating Dangerous Foods.
Is Salami okay for cats?
Cats Can Have Little a Salami
Cats are expert hunters and have a keen sense of smell, especially in the case of meat. Your cat should be just fine with a couple pieces of salami as a treat.
What should you not feed a cat?
Common human food poisonous to cats
- Alcohol. As little as a tablespoon of alcohol can lead to problems for your cat.
- Chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine.
- Coffee, tea and energy drinks.
- Cheese and milk.
- Fat trimmings, raw meat, raw eggs and raw fish.
- Grapes and raisins.
- Onions and garlic.
Photo in the article by “Army.mil”