SLOWLY reducing your cat’s weight to an appropriate level is the very best thing you can do for him or her.
- For cats, I frequently recommend a diet high in very good quality protein and low in carbohydrates.
- Canned foods should be high in protein with little or no grain.
- Dietary Supplements & Herbs.
How can I help my cat with diabetes?
In cats, initial treatment of DM may include dietary changes, oral medications,* weight loss and insulin therapy. Keep in mind that some cat guardians initially just try dietary changes, but recent studies have shown that the sooner you start insulin therapy, the healthier for your cat’s pancreas will be.
How can you tell if your cat has diabetes?
Consult your veterinarian if you see any of the 7 common signs of diabetes in cats:
- Increased Thirst and Urination.
- Inappropriate Elimination.
- Change in Appetite.
- Weight Loss.
- Decreased Activity or Weakness.
- Change in Gait.
What is the best food for a cat with diabetes?
The Best Food for Diabetic Cats
- Low carbohydrates/high protein: Eating carbohydrate-rich meals leads to sudden spikes in blood sugar levels, which increases a cat’s demand for insulin.
- Canned is best: A large amount of carbohydrate is a necessary component to kibble.
What happens if diabetes is left untreated in cats?
However, diabetes is life-threatening if left alone. Untreated, the condition leads to increasingly weak legs in cats, and eventually malnutrition, ketoacidosis and death. Most cats do not object to injections, and insulin is very inexpensive.
Photo in the article by “Picryl”